ceiling moldings, a great finishing tool to help mask any irregularities or errors in the in-line coating the walls with the ceiling.Therefore it is very important to know how to install ceiling moldings.
Often in practice there are names: cornice moldings, curb or quirk, all designations ceiling moldings.Usually it is made of foam polyurethane or polystyrene foam.
Installing skirting ceiling will be the final touch to create an interior space.Let us consider how to install ceiling moldings, all methods of installation of such elements.
How to install ceiling moldings: step by step instructions
Choosing this decoration material, take over the benchmark size of the room, which will host the finish.The width of the plinth will grow with an increase in the width and height of the ceiling of the room.
But we should remember that in areas with a high ceiling too narrow plinth can look ugly or even lose sight of disappearing into the interior of the room.
Determination width ceiling moldings
to harmonize the dimensions of the room and ceiling moldings, it is desirable to adhere to the following values, to know how to install baseboard ceiling:
|Approximate values proportional to the size of the room and ceiling moldings|
|Ceiling height||Room area|
|15 m2||15-23 m2||more than 23 m2|
|2,5 m||to 9 cm||to 9 cm||to 9 cm|
|2,7 m||to 10 cm||9-14 cm||15-21 cm|
|3.0m||10-15 cm||15-21 cm||15-21 cm|
For example, if your room area of 20 m2 and a ceiling height of 2.7 m, it is recommended to select a plinth width of 9 to 14 cm, it is possible to take 10 or 12 cm.
To calculatehow many borders you need, divide the perimeter of the room in meters the length of the strap, and rounded to the higher number.The standard length of a plinth - 2 m.
Secure ceiling moldings is not difficult, but there can be loss of material due to incorrect cutting it or break, so buy extra unit of fillets.The value of the purchase is not much affected, because the price is low ceiling moldings.
Identify irregularities in the ceiling and decide in what place will be installed baseboards.If the line of the ceiling, the wall is highly curved, not glue the plinth there long - they can go wrong.Try to do everything
mounted fillets of equal length, it will look much better than the combination of long and short planks.
Tip: When applying special marking pencil try to draw the line so that after mounting plinth could not see them.
Tools and materials
To install, you need the following tools:
- Hacksaw or stationery knife;
- tank filler,
- rubber spatula,
- assembly handgun.
also need to stock up on materials:
- ceiling moldings,
- Mounting bracket (optional),
- Corner Mount,
- mounting glue,
- latex paint,
- acrylic sealant.
- cutting corners plinth should be done very carefully and attentively to match them perfectly straight corners.For this useful stuslo - special joinery device for cutting at an angle, usually 45 °.
basic rule at work: first, trim angle, and then adjust the length of the strap.
- Note that most of the plinth has an asymmetric shape - one side is longer and the other shorter.In this case, the length of the need to strengthen the wall, and short - on the ceiling.
When the room all the angles equal, the process is very simple - cut the fillets with a sharp knife using the miter box .Keep in mind, the bottom of the miter box should be put aside, which will be glued to the ceiling.Keep
plinth exactly to avoid a gap in the corners, which are then difficult to close up.
- But what if the angles of the room is not straight?There miter box is not useful - take a pencil.
To start attach a skirting to the wall and draw a line along the sides to the corner - will direct the two bands.Then attach the baseboard to the adjacent wall and spend another 2 straight lines.
- Select first point of intersection of the ceiling and walls, and then applying a plinth insert points on them.Finally got two fillets with reference points - two marks, on which you need to make the cut.
Tip: If you do not want to complicate their work vyschityvaniem angles can buy corner brackets for ceiling moldings - it is inserted into the edge elements without precise cropping.
You can start to train cut corners on extra pieces. Trim strips should be at the outer corners, leaving a reserve of several millimeters - then the excess is easily sanded.
inner corners should be putty using acrylic sealant gun and then embellish.
moldings, how to install: installation methods
most common are three ways how to install ceiling moldings:
- mechanical fastening.
- Bonding on the wall.
- Bonding at the wallpaper.
The first method is used when producing finishing the ceiling panels.In this case, install a special mounting bracket, as it is fixed plinth made of plastic.
Tip: Each method has advantages, but if you install the plinth with his own hands for the first time, it is better to choose wallpaper pasting.
But the best is the option to glue the plinth wall.In this case, the subsequent repair can be easy to change the wallpaper, without performing re-installation of plinths.Simply
will seal the gaps before pasting wallpaper.As a result of the plinth in the interior looks harmonious.
Now let's look at how to install ceiling moldings, pasting them on the wallpaper or wall:
- Align and prime the walls and ceiling.
- on the inner corners of the plinth, apply glue.Strive to excess glue does not protrude outward.About the adhesive will be described in more detail below.
- briefly attach the panel to the location where you want to stick, remove and let the glue sets.Then glue the plinth to the same place, slightly pressing it.
much pressure on the surface is not necessary, in order to avoid nicks and cracks.
- following planks smeared with glue on the surfaces touching the wall, the ceiling and the previous bar.Reaching the corner, measure the distance to it, and using the miter box, cut the baseboard.
- When attached around the perimeter of the plinth, zashpaklyuyte all joints, gaps and cracks.
- If you want to add color, color plinth, only very carefully.
Then consider the process of fixing ceiling moldings with mechanical fastening:
- Are fixed angular elements;
- Attaches mounting plate screws at intervals of 30-50 cm;Next
- installing ceiling mounted on a plinth fortified construction details.
moldings of polyurethane installation does not differ from other angles to be cut the same way.
How to choose the glue plinths for installation on the ceiling
How to install ceiling moldings, and what glue to put it?Consider the installation of the main features of the profile of the different materials.
decorative moldings made of wood, polyurethane foam and plaster.From this principle it does not depend on the installation, but need to find a suitable adhesive composition and to properly prepare for installation details.
basic principles of selection of adhesive:
- to foam, plastic or wooden plinths there polymeric adhesives which are divided into 3 main groups:
- based on aqueous polymer dispersions and - such adhesives are dissolved in water;
- Based on plastic polymers and organic solvents;
- based on liquid polymer hardeners.
advantages given to the first and third type adhesive such as PVA, "Moment", "Bustilat", "Dragon" and silicone sealants.
- plaster and glue the foam moldings on the solution of putty, and the same solution sealed gaps between profiles, wall and ceiling.
- Wooden plinth can be attached not only adhesive but also with nails or screws.
Features glue and putty on a plinth:
- to use polymeric adhesive need to prepare the walls and ceiling that had good surface properties for the clutch.If the walls or ceiling finish mixtures made of plaster and putty, then they must be primed, and if the finishing of plastic or wood - to remove from her all the grease.
- When using putty solution is applied to the entire reverse of the panel that while applying in the corners there was emptiness.Excess solution that squeezed out to the surface after the fit should be removed with a spatula or finger.
- If you are going to hide under the ceiling moldings wiring or other communication, you must first attach them to a wall or ceiling, so that the wires are not delayed during the installation baseboards and complexity.
- Now you know how to install ceiling moldings, and you can safely take on this simple, but pretty responsible job that requires accuracy.Usually, the joints of the walls and ceiling, a decorative design, and this perfectly suited for ceiling moldings.
Council, if you want to see the process with their own eyes, look at the video installation of ceiling moldings.After viewing the photos, you will learn the correct docking interior and exterior angles and the process of gluing fillets.
This article describes the most common methods for skirting ceiling installation, but it does not mean that it will always apply such methods.Over time, every professional develops the technique of installation, which may differ significantly from these examples, and have their own nuances.