Very often there are questions regarding the vaulted ceilings.Today we decided to talk about them.
Questions are many, but in our opinion, one of the most popular is the question - what is stronger than a flat ceiling or archway?
What is stronger than the ceiling?
say for sure - a vaulted ceiling durable, it is not enough to convince anyone.In order to understand how the ceiling is durable, it is necessary to consider both options.
flat surface - load
first consider a conventional flat ceiling.
As can be seen, this is a common plane, resting on the wall.The load on its mass is pointing straight down.In other words, a ceiling is constantly experiencing the burden on the break.
More - means thicker, heavier
To a ceiling perform its functions, it must be sufficiently strengthened.The larger area of the room, the larger spans and the stronger should be the ceiling.
This design works well in relatively small areas.Otherwise, due to the large span
The larger the surface, the greater the reinforcing material it requires.From this ceiling is even harder, plus an additional load on the walls and foundation of the room.
vital necessity - footings, columns, beams
Many probably encountered in large shopping centers and halls with pillars of powerful and beamed ceilings?All this is done for one purpose - to keep the surface of the fracture.
Nowadays handle the job builders allow new material strong enough and light at the same time, but even in these cases, without columns and struts can not do.
And how do you build a room with a large span without support columns and support beams.The answer is - a vaulted ceiling.
The diagram shows the device model vaulted ceiling.Load, as in the first case is directed downward.But what happens at that time to the surface, as it keeps the load?
And if we tell you that the vaulted ceilings may be constructed of brick and cement without the beads solution at all, would you believe?
This ceiling may be even without the use of binding material between the bricks.Due to what is going on?
Scheme device is visible vaulted ceiling.As you can see, masonry is in the form of a hemisphere.The center of the circle is exactly in the middle.
If you measure the radius of the inside and outside, they will be completely different.
Compression - the basic principle
other words, laying vaulted ceiling, brick is used, in which the outer side more than the inner.Naturally, the force directed straight down, every brick wedges between adjacent bricks, they in turn compresses the adjacent and so on.
Therefore vaulted ceiling is not experiencing stress fracture, it combines compression.If you install the support assembly, compile it without using the solution, and then remove the support, the ceiling falls.
But at this ceiling, there is one factor that radically distinguishes him from the plane.If the second is just lying on the walls, the vaulted still pushing it.
no force disappears .The compression force which holds the structure smoothly flowing on the walls tends to push them apart.
The figure shows what happens when it happens.The building, constructed in such a way, just completely collapse.
Strengthening walls - buttresses
Similarly ceiling, indeed, a large area can be covered without the use of columns, but the walls of a given device overlap should be well fastened on the horizontal axis.
If you make a backup as shown in the figure, it is possible to block a large area and at the same time, the use of higher and thin walls, thereby facilitating the design.
Builders last also came to that conclusion.These backups are called - buttresses.
Our reference - "buttress" from French means "opposition."It consists of two words - contre and force.This strut connecting the buttress of the wall, called the flying buttresses.
Look again at the picture.Anything you do not like?But you've seen it many times, just do not pay attention.
not design - the laws of physics
The pictures are clearly visible from the flying buttresses buttresses.Architects them masked, having arranged between the side of the building.Look at any facility of this type, you'll find them everywhere.
you ever wondered why the old buildings, mostly churches and cathedrals, have the architectural design?
Because these buildings are arranged vaulted ceilings.The desire to cut off as much as possible without the use of a large area in the center of buttress columns, as well as the absence in those days of special materials and tools for building, explains the architectural features of the data.
And you thought that this idea of contemporary designers?
vaulted structure today
Today in finishing the interior designers also use a vaulted ceiling.No, they are not satisfied with their binding and erecting buttresses aktbutanov, it is rather decorative design.
- Modern materials allow to arrange vaulted and arched ceilings in the rooms, giving them a unique design and comfort.
Yes, and you can not just make a vaulted ceiling in the already finished, the building was built without a complete rework it.
Key features for design
Why vaulted and arched shape so attract people?
- The fact that the absence of a sharp transition from wall to ceiling to create some blurring of vision.
- In this space acquires a certain lightness and visually increases its size.
vaulted ceiling with his hands
Do you have a question may arise: is it possible to arrange such a structure at home and how to do it correctly?
- Arrange vaulted ceiling in your own home and you can own hands.
- One small caveat: for that height of the walls should be sufficient.If less than 3200 mm, then better not to experiment.
- easiest option to arrange the vaulted ceiling at home is an option with drywall.
Folded profile - mounting method
In one of our articles on plasterboard ceilings, we have described several ways that you can bend the drywall.Therefore, this issue problems should arise.
- course, need to purchase the appropriate profile for the frame configuration, it is called cold-formed sections.Everything else is quite prosaic.
- highest point of the frame is attached to the ceiling by means of conventional direct hangers. farther from the center and closer to the walls, the more we need the length of suspension.
- This problem is solved using spring hangers with wire.
curved profile with your hands
Well, unless you have a curved profile and the height of the main ceiling is relatively small?
- can make an arched or vaulted ceiling, instead of using hangers and curved profile cut from 10 mm plywood elements of the future framework, tightly attached to the main surface.
- To do this you need to measure your room and, most importantly, pay attention to its size in perspective.
- strictly observing the scale, follow the drawing room.
- Next is drawn diagram of the future ceiling.
- If you are satisfied, you are ready to go.
- beginning of sawed plywood profile.
Our advice - choose plywood with parallel arrangement of the fibers.
- vypilivaya strips future profile, look at the arrangement of fibers, otherwise you will be very difficult to bend it.
- bandwidth should not be less than 50 mm.The length depends on the size of your room.
- to the best of your hand drawing around the perimeter of the walls is necessary to fix a wooden board.
- Its installation does not differ from the installation of metal profiles for the drywall.
- We already wrote about it in the pages of our site, so sharpen its focus on this we will not.
Start installation - bar
Our advice - prime the primer before installing all the wooden parts.
Brus fastened.The next stage - a fixture of plywood curved profile.
- The best option will be the one when the profile is divided into two halves, tightly fixed in the center.
- Step, with whom he will be mounted throughout the room, shall be 600 mm.
- first mounted flush with the wall.
- The location of the central junction drilled two holes for anchors.
- According to your calculation at the end of a wooden profile, you must drill a hole, the size of the anchors.
- Bend and secure such a profile does not take much.Of course, the need to mate.
- profile immediately starts to bend.At first, he fixed on the ceiling.
- After that bent to the desired radius of the profile, it is attached to the timber.
- If you bend a little, you need to install the profile in the middle of a spring suspension.
- If bend quite steep, the suspension can be omitted.You decide.
- thus secured all the elements of a wooden structure.Again, a step they should be 600 mm.
important - regardless of the size of the room, the last profile to be installed flush with the wall.
Metal profile - Installation
- You can now install the metal profiles for the drywall.
- It is installed transversely wooden profiles and attached directly to it.
- Step fixing should be reduced from 600 to 400 mm .
As you can see, we have just installed a longitudinal metal profile, there is no cross.
- Therefore installing drywall sheets, you need to place the cross-junction of GCR embroider a painting knife.Subsequently, the joint
- convenient putty (sm.Shpaklyuem ceiling in the apartment).Fancy not allow weld crack.
can all - if you want to
The main issue on the device of vaulted ceilings we reviewed.Of course, someone - might argue that this is probably not vaulted and arched ceiling.
All true, but in both cases the principles of the device are the same.Just arrange a vaulted ceiling a bit more complicated, but if you want quite able to anyone who owns a tool and ingenuity man.
And most importantly - to be a desire, diligence and hard work.