The article presents a simple, but then, yet sufficiently effective ways to clean the ceiling surface.How to remove the old paint from the ceiling, and prepare it for further finishing, as well as methods for preparing washes to remove various coatings: all this information is detailed in the article, which is offered to the reader.
As is known, the main difficulties arise from the repair of the ceiling when replacing the roof trim is held.For example, you decide to replace the old paint with new ceilings paste over wallpaper or change the color of the ceiling, which will be in harmony with the overall design of the apartment.
But how to prepare the surface and remove worn-out coat?
The main thing to remember - for finishing the ceiling start in the first place, that is, before the start of the repair of the walls and floor.First you need to make the room as far as possible all the furniture (of course, if you are not going to send it to a land
floor, door and window frames, window sills, as well as lighting (chandeliers, lamps, which can not be removed) should hide any improvised material : polyethylene film, newspapers or old sheets.If the repair is carried out during the cold season, the room temperature should not be below + 5 ° C.
Tools for cleaning ceilings
No one would dispute the assertion that the quality of repair depends not onlythe materials and on which the tool is used for this.
need to prepare the ceiling:
- paint brushes;
- set of metal spatulas;
- easy and reliable ladder.
Tip!Started, should not be ignored personal protection: in his hands, wear rubber gloves and a cap on his head, or takes.And do not forget about eye protection - sunglasses here will be very helpful (the ceiling is not gender - will have to look up).
In the past, the most popular type of ceiling decoration was a whitewash or paint.However, over time they began to hang wallpaper and only recently began to mount suspension designs.
Each of finishing materials left on the surface of his "indelible" footprints.Therefore, their removal requires an individual approach.
How to cope with a layer of the old whitewash
Normally, whitewashing the ceiling is pretty impressive layer.Therefore, removal from the ceiling of the old whitewash recommended gradually (see: How do remove the whitewash from the ceiling. Tips on how to properly remove the whitewash from the ceiling), so as not to damage the substrate.
To do this, use a sharp metal spatula medium size.To work progressed more fun, the surface should be pre-moistened with water.
As cleaning the area by spraying moisturize the following sections.Stripping should be done carefully, without flaws.
thin layer of whitewash remove much simpler:
- To do this, again, the surface sprayed with water and purified with a spatula.
- After work you should carefully check the whole area of the ceiling : perhaps somewhere missing pieces whitewash.
- If so, they should be wet with a wet sponge and removed.
Consider recommendations from the previous section and use the means of protection.Be sure to wear goggles because the layer to remove water-based paints have to use a roller, a spray that can get into the eyes.
How to remove latex paint from the ceiling quickly and efficiently?So
- To do this, you need to pre-wet the surface with warm water. As a tool used paint roller mounted on a telescopic pole.
- dipped it into the water, should be thoroughly wet the layer of latex paint.If the water is not absorbed, and rolls off the surface of the droplets, means for finishing the ceiling paint was used with water-repellent effect.
Therefore, soak it in a single pass is unlikely to succeed.
- After reprocessing wet roller, you must wait 15 minutes to allow the moisture to soften the cover and fully penetrate its structure.
- Now it remains for small - to take the spatula and scrape swollen layer of paint until the plaster.Spatula should be kept parallel to the surface so that it does not damage the sharp corners of the ceiling.
- moisture-proof latex paint can be removed as a trowel and sander.
- latter method is recommended if nothing else helps to cope with the coating .The main disadvantage of machining ceilings - is the abundance of dust that can penetrate even through closed doors in the next room.
There is an easier method of removing water-based paint, which is characterized by simplicity and convenience.This will require an old newspaper, PVA glue or starch paste.
essence of it is this: the ceiling with a roller is applied to the adhesive and glued paper.After the adhesive has dried, the paper can be easily removed with paint.
In case of difficulties with the removal of the newspapers, you can use a narrow spatula.
Tip!Experienced finishers recommended after stripping latex paint, sand the ceiling sandpaper.
How to remove traces of glue with a ceiling
After removing the old wallpaper on the ceiling are usually adhesive strip and yellow spots (see: How do remove yellow stains on the ceiling on your own).
do the following:
- remove the wallpaper is easier if they are pre-moistened with water.To the moisture will penetrate into the material, it is advisable to trim them.
- trouble spots can be treated with a special compound designed to remove old wallpaper.Treat the surface is quite convenient with a roller.
to treatments begin no earlier than half an hour.
Next, consider how to remove the adhesive from the ceiling and prepare it for further work:
- To do this, on the cleaned surface with a paint brush applied wiping solution and give it time to soak into the surface.
- glue and remove the old whitewash wide spatula or wire brush.
- At the final stage of the work, eroding the surface wet brush that allows you to remove from the ceiling various finishes and fine particles of dust.
- cleaned ceiling, it is recommended to wash with soapy water and dry it thoroughly (see: How do wash the ceiling just expert advice).
How to clean the ceiling of the oil paint
How to remove oil-based paint from the ceiling, which, in contrast to previous materials, is firmly connected to the surface, which makes its removal is quite difficult.In some cases, this is done using special chemicals or homegrown tools.
Tools and materials
- special remover;
- caustic soda;
- slaked lime;
- soda ash;
- metal spatula;
- metal brush.
removers for oil paint works great on fresh coating, that is, if the ceiling was painted recently.Instructions for using it is on the package.
When the need to exercise great caution and definitely use personal protective equipment.
To remove old coatings can be prepared in a special paste consisting of chalk, slaked lime (1: 1) and caustic soda. composition applied to the surface, just a couple of hours, after which oil paint is quite easy to remove with a metal spatula.
remove oil paint just as you can with the help of the dryer building.The advantage of this method is that the work does not contain hazardous chemicals.
Among the shortcomings include low productivity, since it is impossible to quickly process large surface areas.
Maybe someone from the readers will notice that the article does not consider questions: how to remove the chalk from the ceiling, as well as how to remove the old paint from the ceiling.This is due to the fact that the above methods are applicable for the removal of said coating, so to avoid repetition, and was made for a reduction in the material.