In this article we will list the main types of tiles on the ceiling of what materials it is made, what has strengths and weaknesses, and how to install.
Types tiled ceiling
Let's first understand, what are tiled ceilings according to the method of installation.
These ceilings were very popular in our country, about 15-20 years ago. The reasons are obvious:
- Adhesive PVC ceiling tile - is the easiest way to fix minor surface defects from the ceiling without serious repair .After surface treatment primer tiles can be glued even whitewash.
- Cheapness such repairs inferior except that the same whitewashed with lime.
- repair using adhesive ceiling tiles can be made a newcomer who does not have any construction experience.
How to put a tile on the ceiling:
- ceiling trimmed from Nabeul (see. How to clean the ceiling of the whitewash: effective options) and flaking plaster or processed penetrating primer.
- Universal adhesive to the surface of the tile is glued foam or polystyrene.Generally, white.The edges of the tiles can be parallel to the wall or placed on a diagonal.
- If necessary, the joints of the tiles for walls and ceiling using a ceiling moldings - also from foam or polystyrene.
Now ceiling tiles under the label gradually fading, giving way to stretch and suspended ceilings.
What are the disadvantages of this design?Why is her popularity drops?
- surface of polystyrene foam and collects dust, soot and grease.If easy to brush away the dust with a damp cloth, then with soot fat practically laundered.
Note: Tiles made of polystyrene with protective film devoid of this shortcoming.Its surface is easy to clean with any cleaning agents other than abrasive.
- ceiling is generally not very presentable.Visible seams between the boards.Straining or plasterboard ceiling look much better.
- Finally, a ceiling tile can mask only minor surface defects.Unfortunately, builders often leave behind a slab with a difference in height between the plates of a few centimeters.Sticker thin tiles only emphasize these defects.
But in this form we will hold the ceiling.What are its characteristics?
- plates are not glued to the ceiling .They are placed on a special slatted frame spaced from the ceiling at a distance.
- If so - the distance between the ceiling tiles and can be used to hide the plumbing, wiring, ventilation and air conditioning systems of communication.
- significant height differences and surface defects will also be hidden.Before the eyes will only perfectly flat ceiling surface.
- modular construction and laying of tiles without fixing means that an arbitrary portion can be repaired a little blood, without the involvement of builders.
most typical example of the problems that may be subject to a ceiling - through the ceiling tiles in the water spilled .If the tiles are glued on - it means that you have to tear off part of the ceiling coating, putty and glue surface again has new tiles.
Here we just take out of the lattice tiles with traces of water stains and put in their place new ones.
- main drawback of tiled ceiling - the same as that of all major suspension designs.The room will be lower by 5 - 25 centimeters.If so - in the Khrushchev and brezhnevki should think twice before settling on this ceiling.
types of tile ceilings
ceiling tile vary not only by the method of attachment, but also by the form of the tile.
What materials can be used to create tiles for ceilings?In some cases, their use is meaningful?
- headlining plates type Akmigran or Akminit applied when necessary to ensure fire safety and minimum absorption ceiling.Base plates - granulated mineral wool and asbestos fibers.The binder is used kaolin - refractory clay.
production technology provides a number of microcracks in the material;because it improves the sound absorption of the ceiling tiles.
- headlining plates type AGSHT needed primarily to increase the soundproofing floors, and provide the best acoustics without reflections of acoustic vibrations.
material demand in theaters, concert halls and conservatories ;base plates - perforated gypsum mass to the substrate fabric.Plates AGSH differ from AGSHT only in the absence of the substrate.
- plastic ceiling tiles (usually translucent acrylic) gives the illusion of depth, making the room visually much higher.It can hide the backlight, giving diffused light.
In addition, plastic boards for the ceiling are not afraid of flooding: they simply wash with soapy water, and appearance will return to the original.
Note: in this sense, they are not inferior to the wall panels made of PVC;thus they are much cheaper.
- wooden decorative ceiling tiles cost far more than the previous materials.Besides its operational properties much worse: a tree is afraid of water, burn and rot.However, after treatment with antiseptic compositions and varnishing of the shortcomings will be forgotten.
The main advantage of the wooden ceiling tile - its stunning looks.In addition, cork tiles perfectly dampens sounds at least as inferior in this AGSH plates.
- Mirror glass tiles .It is the most visually expands the space, but requires very seriously the carcass strength: weight and sharp edges of the tiles are able to make some troubles in the fall.
- Metal .She is strong and not afraid of water;but not provide insulation.
Features installation of suspended ceiling tile
What you should pay attention when installing the ceiling (especially its frame)?
- when installing suspended ceilings can be used as a special profile of galvanized or aluminum or wooden crate.However, in bathrooms and kitchens can not use the tree: humidity fluctuations will inevitably lead to deformation.
- If you have a flat ceiling, hemmed or OSB boards - you can do even without a profile.Tile is simply fixed to the ceiling planed wide rack.Of course, the replacement of tiles in this case is somewhat more complicated than the classic version.
- If the frame is used - guided by its suspension is not best for the distance from the ceiling, and on the level.
- for fixing the frame should not be used with wood screws Chopik.Use only plastic dowels : they are not afraid of moisture and temperature fluctuations, they do not fall out of the holes in a few years.
- Attach profiles preferably with a distance between the fastening points is not more than a meter.
ceiling tile installation over is simple and can be made even a man with minimal construction skills (see. Tile Ceiling: types and characteristics of the installation).You will need a set of simple tools and a little faith in yourself.Good luck in your repair!