For finishing ceilings often used foam ceiling tiles, which is mounted on a flat surface and creates a simulation of plaster stucco.By way of manufacturing such surfacing material is divided into three categories, under which produce products by stamping, sintering and extrusion.
Types ceiling tiles
Stamped (pressed) tiles
- 6-7mm thick strip cut from Styrofoam building blocks and pressed or stamped in the form of square tiles of white matte color.
- Pressed tile ceiling has a number of benefits that do not have the product obtained by sintering or extrusion.First of all - this is the lowest price, and as a result, the ability to replace damaged material without any problems.
- Pressed tiles easily pasted on the ceiling and can be painted latex paint.
But this tile has a number of disadvantages, such as required by the edge perimeter, which allocates to each ceiling tile, the error in the dimensional accuracy during manufacture, which leads
- injection tiles manufactured by sintering a mold of high-quality raw materials without destroying the pellets.The result is a white opaque product 9-14mm thick.
- This tile is almost waterproof and wet cleaning is not required previously to paint it, to the same tile acts as a sound insulator.
- Due to the thickness of the tile may be profound relief forms, and installation is almost invisible edge on the perimeter, so the ceiling looks like an integral molding product.
- Injection tile is made of self-extinguishing polystyrene.
- extruded ceiling tiles made by extrusion of polystyrene and ultimately has an off-white color, so this product is covered by the film by pressing.
- tile obtained by extrusion, is the most stable among their counterparts at the same time does not exceed the thickness of the stamped product.
- extruded tiles produced in a variety of colors, but it is the most expensive.In addition, the geometric proportions of the product is not quite accurate and the installation gaps appear.
Installation of ceiling tiles
If the ceiling has come into disrepair, that is, there were cracks in the ceiling and is clearly required to make repairs, but you do not have this money and time, the foam tilesthe ceiling will help you correct the situation.If your apartment is on the top floor and there are ceilings sloped, it is, of course, will not save the situation, as the tiles just cover the surface and to align the needs of the installation of a suspended ceiling frame.
Council.Although the installation of products such as foam tile ceiling referred to as an interim measure, such repairs may become permanent for your apartment, so treated him with the utmost seriousness, considering your possibilities and the technical characteristics of each type.
Preparation and marking the ceiling
- for sticking to the ceiling tiles need smooth surface without the "rags" of old paint, lime or wallpaper, so if the working plane there are such defects, they should clean off the spatula (see.Is it possible to glue tiles on the ceiling whitewash?).
- ceiling before applying the tiles need to open the primer , the process of adhesion caused by the glue does not become a cohesion.
- Typically, ceiling tiles from foam having a size of 50 × 50cm, and you need to calculate them so that the edges of the ceiling were the insertion of the same width.To do this you need to measure the width of the ceiling, count the number of whole tiles that are together in this period, and the remaining distance divided by two.This will be the width of the insert.
- For example, the ceiling in the room has a width 282sm, then this distance will require as much as five bars and two widths of 16cm (5 × 50 + 2 × 16 = 282).Similarly, the same calculation is necessary to make the length of the ceiling.
- To all the tiles lay on the ceiling without seams failure - the ceiling is necessary to make the guideline .That is, the net rascherchivat not necessary, but may be using paint cord beat off the line, for example, through 150-200sm thus errors in geometric proportions of the tile you are not afraid.
- foam tiles on the ceiling are usually glued on PVA glue, or "Dragon".It is not necessary to smear the whole area of the adhesive product to be applied adhesive on the perimeter and in the center.
- tiles stuck to the ceiling, it is necessary to press and it is better to use a sponge or soft cloth.This is especially true of forged products as the most fragile among the ceiling tiles.
- foam is easily cut with a knife construction and in all places where the lines or just need to cut the tiles, use a construction knife with replaceable blades.
- for mounting ceiling moldings, use the same glue, which you stuck to the ceiling tile.The corners of the building with a knife stabbed.You can use the miter box.
Council.Any foam ceiling tiles have a textured surface, so it is impossible to paint a paint roller.Since you use a spray can not (stained the room), the painting is best to use a soft malklavitsu.
Temporary repairs using ceiling tiles often becomes permanent and after a few years, the ceilings are updated, again using the same tile, but with a different pattern.So the statement about the temporality of such repairs can be called unreasonable.