- Tools for drilling glass
- Application drills
- Alternative methods
in life is not so much a person has to drill glass.Nevertheless, sometimes such a need arises when, for example, to fix or make the mirror structure consisting of glass shelves.Glass is a very fragile material, so when drilling in living conditions you need to follow certain rules.If we carefully and accurately perform the job, then make a hole in the glass can be yourself.In the specialized enterprises in the brittle material drilled holes using a special machine using a special tool.At home, this fine work can be done through other, more simple ways.On the question of how to drill glass, there are a lot of answers.
Tools for drilling glass
Bits for drilling glass
First you need to decide on the drill, which on the physical and mechanical features, without prejudice to the final result make the required hole.
- Immediately we can say that the technical equipment, which has been proven successful in the treatment of metal or the wood is not suitable for the drilling of the glass material.Traditional drill does not perform its task in this case, and a sheet of glass in the place of drilling and generally crack and come in unsuitability.For such a specific material are special drill with a sharp (diamond) tipped that due to its construction gradually cut into the glass.This process contributes to the coating on the arrowhead drills.This form of drilling drills slowly and without compromising the final result.
- The industry processing materials are also used drill tubular forms, which handled the diamond cutting crumbs - it is easy to cut the power of the glass material.The cutting edge of the tool has a hardness greater glass, so the penetration tip is happening slowly but surely.
- In everyday life is most needed regular drill at work that it is possible to adjust the rotation speed.Glass is usually drilled at a low speed drill with a mandatory cooling surface.
glass can be drilled with a drill, but only if the material is cleared of fatty layers alcohol or turpentine.After cleaning the surface to be treated should be given time to dry the cutting edge.After that, the glass is placed on a flat wooden table, with the edge of the material must go beyond the base.After that, the space reserved for the drilling, construction glued tape.On the adhesive tape is the mark which should coincide with the center drilling.
Do not just do the first hole in the material that you are going to drill - to learn how to drill the glass sample, you can use a small piece of glass.At work do not need to create unnecessary pressure on the drill, because the material has to be drilled with a small serving.Sometimes there is a false impression that the glass is not a drill, while drilling is taking its course.When drilling is not necessary to forget that the adjoining materials are heated, so it is advisable to drill a cool place with the help of a periodic supply of water from a spray bottle, or to make a tray of clay in place to drilling and pour a small amount of water.Also, do not forget that the drill bit against the material must be in a perpendicular position.
delicate moment - as soon as the drill overcomes half the thickness of the glass, the material must be turned over to the other side and continue drilling from the opposite side.This simple technique will prevent cracks and chips.Once the hole is formed, the edges to be processed with fine sandpaper abrasive.
Hold the tool perpendicular to the glass
Humanity is characterized by its inventiveness - and in this case, if there is an appropriate tool for making holes in the glass can be used at least one of the following methods.
Methods drilling glass
- task - to drill a hole in the glass up to 4 mm.For this operation, it fits the usual drill, but the pre-tempered.The drill is clamped pliers is supplied to the flame gas stove and held as long as the tip is not warmed-hot.Then heated by a part of the drill is placed in the wax.When cooling stops foaming material, the drill can be removed.Hardening and mechanical cleaning of the drill from the wax can get to work.
- If you need to drill a hole in a small glass objects, before you start it should be dipped in cold water, which is in the appropriate size container.The water should barely cover the surface of the treated glass unit.What matters is that the product before the treatment was not able to move.Next
- exclusive method is intended for carbide glass.To make the scheduled opening of their own hands, the drill is necessary to moisten a cloth soaked in a mixture of turpentine and camphor.After that the product is made from clay, the inner circle which is intended for pouring liquid into it cooked.
- If no bit in the drill, namely the connector holder can be inserted piece of a copper wire, wherein the drilling process will occur using a given interval.For qualitative drilling in abrasive powder is mixed camphor, then it is dissolved in turpentine in a ratio of ½, and the resulting mixture was added to a rigid surface with emery paper.The mixed composition is applied to the point of boring, then you can start to work.
- In practice, with the best hand proved to be another method.Take the copper or aluminum pipe up to 60 mm.After that, at one end of the tube is attached a wooden tube, the other teeth are cut groans.Then the screw cap is twisted, hat which eventually need to saw off.Then the glass at the point of drilling from both sides are glued cardboard small size which should coincide with the diameter of the hole.Place drilling sprinkled fine abrasive material.The next step - the screw is inserted into the cartridge tool teeth lubricated with turpentine.After these procedures can drill a hole through the thickness of which should reach the third plate.After that the glass should be reversed, and work continues on the opposite side.
- Last and quite effective method of drilling of the material in the home is removing the right of the circle of glass using lead or tin solder.In particular location poured sand hill, then it via taper rods at making holes cleaned surface desired diameter, after which the free space is filled with hot tin or lead.Metal elevation pulled together with a glass fragment.
With tin or lead
There are other methods of drilling glass.But you can stay on these practical and ingenious methods.
Visually drilling process is shown below: